Sr/Lead Machine Learning Engineer (Remote)
Yelp has hundreds of millions of pieces of unique user-contributed content, millions of users and business listings, and hundreds of thousands of advertising customers–—and all of these numbers are constantly growing.
Our Machine Learning Engineers turn raw data into valuable signals by building end-to-end ML systems, from training models to deploying them in production, as well as creating the ML platforms these models rely on. These systems power applications like search ranking, ads targeting, push notifications, and photo understanding. Our data teams banter about Bandits, know their way down a Gradient, and aren’t too Naïve to kick back with their coworkers.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages creative solutions to problems. We enable all new team members to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor, and team. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
This opportunity is fully remote and does not require you to be located in any particular area in Canada. We welcome applicants from throughout Canada.
Where You Come In:
- Conduct end-to-end analyses, from wrangling data via SQL or Python, to statistical modeling, to hypothesizing and presenting business ideas.
- Work with large, complex datasets.
- Lead the development and deployment of projects involving machine learned models for offline, batch-based data products as well as models deployed to online, real-time services.
- Provide technical mentorship and coaching to the team members.
- Work in areas such as home feed, search, ads targeting, spam, and photo understanding.
- Productionize and automate model pipelines within Python services.
- Drive and lead adoption of MLOps best practices.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Data engineering experience with building scalable distributed systems (SQL, Spark, etc.).
- Strong coding skills in Python or equivalent (Python, Java and C++).
- Solid understanding of engineering and infrastructure best practices.
- Experience developing productionizing machine learning models.
- Experience with machine learning using packages such as xgboost, Sklearn, TensorFlow, Spark MLlib, etc.
- The curiosity to uncover promising solutions to new problems, and the persistence to carry your ideas through to an end goal.
- Previous working experience building end-to-end Machine Learning Platforms is a big plus. Experience with automating ML Pipelines and NLP is a plus.
What You’ll Get:
- This opportunity has the option to be fully remote in all locations across Canada.
- You can find more information about Yelp's five star benefits here!
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.