Applied Scientist, Economics (Remote)
Are you passionate about applying experimentation, causal inference, analysis, and machine learning models to make high-quality, high-impact decisions? Do you want to help local businesses grow and succeed? Yelp’s Ad Market Dynamics team works on challenging, multi-disciplinary problems at scale—spanning economics, machine learning, statistics, and engineering—with the goal of creating a healthy, valued marketplace between customers and advertisers.
As an Applied Scientist at Yelp, you will help improve our marketplace for customers and advertisers by applying your knowledge of experimental and observational analysis alongside modeling and mechanism design. The range of problems you may take on here at Yelp includes:
- How should we design our ad systems with the right incentives to promote a healthy marketplace?
- How should we improve our dynamic auction system for advertisers?
- What causal mechanisms underpin our advertising systems?
- How can we best design an experiment to measure complex network effects?
Yelp Engineering and Applied Science culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages creative solutions to problems. We encourage autonomy and development from the outset, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor, and team. Learn more about Yelp by visiting: Culture at Yelp / Yelp Fact Sheet / Diversity at Yelp / Yelp Engineering Blog / Yelp Blog / Yelp Open Source / Yelp Economic Average.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
This opportunity is fully remote and does not require you to be located in any particular area in Canada. We welcome applicants from throughout Canada.
Where You Come In:
- Identify and own complex problems, form testable hypotheses and drive significant business impact.
- Conduct end-to-end analyses, from wrangling data via SQL or Python, to statistical modeling, to hypothesizing and presenting business ideas.
- Communicate your conclusions to technical and non-technical audiences alike.
- Develop and deploy ML models into production and continuously improve their performance.
- Keep the team and our projects current on new developments in experimentation and modeling.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Background in economics/econometrics (Masters/PhD or equivalent practical experience).
- Ideally 3+ years of working experience.
- Understanding of marketplaces and incentive design when solving business problems.
- Experience with data analysis/modeling/statistical tools (e.g. Python/R/SQL).
- Ability to apply economic and econometric analysis to real-world problems.
- Highly motivated and curious—able to combine business insight with deep understanding of tools and systems.
What You'll Get:
- This opportunity has the option to be fully remote in all locations across Canada.
- You can find more information about Yelp's five star benefits here!
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.